West Virginia-Florida State game canceled
- Kansas lands Miami of Ohio WR Harwell
- 9-game schedule next potential SEC tweak
- Oregon releases notice of allegations
- Spanier wants criminal charges dismissed
- Elon joining CAA in latest expansion
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) West Virginia has decided to cancel its Sept. 8 football game at Florida State.
School officials informed Florida State late Friday they would pay a $350,000 escape fee to shelve the trip.
Florida State Athletic Director Randy Spetman said Saturday he's disappointed that West Virginia would not honor the first half of a home-and-home agreement that calls for Florida State to visit Morgantown, W.Va., next year. The Seminoles have Murray State, South Florida and Florida on their 2012 nonconference schedule in addition to eight Atlantic Coast Conference games.
Spetman now has a short timeline to find an opponent to replace the Mountaineers on Florida State's schedule.
Updated February 4, 2012